The objective of the course will be to create awareness and enhance knowledge on the use of Phytosanitary Capacity Evaluation (PCE) tool for improvement of National Plant Protection Organizations Phytosanitary systems.
Introduction to Phytosanitary Capacity Evaluation (PCE)
Description of the PCE tool
Results and uses of PCE as a needs assessment tool
- Definition, aims and rationale, benefits,
- Applications of PCE: when should a PCE be applied, who should be involved in conducting a PCE, current status on PCE usage, developers and scope; relevance of PCE in government regulatory agencies and private industry for improved productivity.
- The PCE strategy: assisted self-evaluation, PCE as a technical assistance tool,
- The components of PCE tool questionnaire: country profile, National phytosanitary legislations,
NPPO’s structure and processes, NPPO’s resources, Pest diagnostic capacity, exotic pest response, inspection facilities and capacity, NPPO pest surveillance and pest reporting capacity, Pest eradication capacity, Phytosanitary import regulatory system, Export certification, re-export and transit certification, Pest risk analysis, personnel capacity and resources, documentation capacity, Pest free areas, places and sites of low pest prevalence,
- Role of NPPO in the national phytosanitary system: relationship with international phytosanitary institutions, relevance of national phytosanitary legislation to relevant international agreements, legal mandate and functions of the NPPO, procedures for adoption of phytosanitary requirements,
- Human capacity: presence of trained managers incharge of national programmes, appropriate staffing for key services, training programmes,
- Documentation: documented procedure, operational manuals, internal audit system, computerization of of the systems,
- Facilities and equipment: inspection facilities at points of entry, laboratory facilities and equipment, library, computer systems, quarantine facilities
Group exercises on PCE
- International Plant Protection Convention. Phytosanitary Capacity Evaluation Tool (PCE). https://www.ippc.int/mediakit/ippc-pce-flyer-en.pdf
- Standards and Trade Development Facility - World Trade Organization (WTO). 2009.
- SPS-Related Capacity Evaluation Tools: An Overview of Tools Developed by International Organizations. http://www.standardsfacility.org/files/various/STDF_Capacity_Evaluation_Tools_Eng_.pPreparing a national phytosanitary capacity development strategy http://www.fao.org/3/i7766en/I7766EN.pdf