- to strengthen capacity in implementing viable potato seed supply systems to enhance potato value chains and contribute to food security.
- Update participants' knowledge on recent developments in seed potato supply systems;
- Assess opportunities and necessary conditions for improving supply systems of high quality seed potatoes with private sector participation;
- Provide opportunity for exchange of experiences and development of new ideas among participating professionals.
- Concepts of Seed Production
- Diseases and Pests
- Seed Systems Harvesting and Post-Harvest And Handling
Recent developments in seed potato production in Kenya
Introduction to seed potato production, agronomic practices and soil management and economics
Variety evaluation, release and Gazettement
Seed Potato Production and profitability
Authorization and self-regulation for Seed Potato Production
Overview of disease and Pests of Potatoes
Major fungal and viral diseases of potatoes and the management options
Bacterial diseases of Potatoes and their control
Certification of Seed potatoes in Kenya
Seed storage and packaging – small scale and advance system, eg labeling and sealing to be demonstrated by KEPHIS staff
Field Visits - Quality Assurance and Seed Certification: showcase list of registered varieties for various countries
Discussions on agronomy, variety evaluation and Gazettement, seed systems
Seed field inspection and variety identification, post-control plot observation.