The objective of the course will be to create awareness and enhance knowledge on Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) Scheme for the Application of International Quality Standards for Fresh Fruit and Vegetables (FFV).
- It aims at facilitating the application and adoption of quality standards in production, trade and marketing conditions, promotion of uniformity in quality control procedures and dissemination of quality assurance guidelines.
- Enhance working relationships in application of standards for FFV within the region and internationally.
- Share countries’ experiences on application of standards for FFV.
- Demonstrate practical application of standards for FFV
- Understanding and implementation of traceability in marketing of FFV
- Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) Scheme for the Application of International Quality Standards for Fresh Fruit and Vegetables (FFV). (1 Hour)
- FFV marketing standards
- Food safety concerns in fresh fruits and vegetables:
- Quality standard interpretations
- Case studies
- Exercises and practical – Part of field visits unit
1.1.1 Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) Scheme for the Application of International Quality Standards for Fresh Fruit and Vegetables (FFV). (1 Hour)
- Definition, aims and rationale, benefits
- Introduction to FFV quality standards and interpretation
- FFV development in international bodies
- FFV implementation in national legislation
- FFV application on different stages of marketing
- The role of governmental or private bodies in the context of inspection
- The responsibilities of the owner of produce
- Importance of sampling and sample assessment.
- Role of private standards in FFV
- Labelling and traceability
- Usage of Pesticides in fruits and vegetables
- MRLs, heavy metals and other contaminants
- Emerging issues under fresh fruits and vegetable standards e.g. internet sales, laser marking on products, interceptions on quality standards, inspection of quality standards in the Netherlands
- UNECE standards for Avocados, Snow Peas /Sugar Snaps, Onions, Tomatoes, Carrots, Long Chillies, Mangos and French beans
- Codex/National Standards for Passion fruit and Tree Tomatoes
- Two sessions of roughly 35 minutes for each produce and presented by two different presenters will run concurrently
Review quality standards for tree tomato, mangoes avocado, passion fruit, snow peas/sugar snaps, french beans, onions, long chillies
Visit to pack house, county local market/ and supermarkets and check on several fresh fruits and vegetables for group discussion on return to training venue
Group reports on previous day’s visit to pack house/County market/Supermarket