The International Phytosanitary Conference took place from 12th to 16th September 2016, in Nairobi, Kenya. The organizer was Kenya Plant Health Inspectorate Service (KEPHIS) who is the National Plant Protection Organization of Kenya at their headquarters. The international conference was the first of its kind to be hosted by Kenya on Plant Health. 222 delegates from 25 Countries across the world gathered in Nairobi to discuss matters pertinent and emerging in plant health. Participants contributed papers of abstracts for oral or poster presentations within the eight thematic areas the main theme being “Phytosanitary Regulation for Improved Trade Facilitation and Food Security”. The conference was carried out with oral presentations in the main hall, posters presentations, side meetings and exhibitions. Oral presentations were done in eight sessions each handling a specific thematic area.
Key outcomes of the conference were
- Need for second International Phytosanitary Conference in 2018 as an International Plant Protection Convention (IPPC) calendar event. Venue and date to be communicated at a later date
- Declaration of year 2020 as international Year of Plant Health
- Proposed 6/12/2021 as cerebration date for The international day of Plant Health
- Publication of the conference proceedings
- Organization of the next international conference to be communicated
- Details for the conference deliberations are available at www.phytosanitaryconference.org